Friday, May 16, 2014

Bling!: Favorite Medals

A while ago someone asked to write a post on my favorite medals from races.  So below is my Top 10 list (in no particular order):

Boston 13.1 - 2010

The 2010 Boston 13.1 was a disaster for many people.  It was the day of a couple big World Cup games.  It started at 7:30 in Milton with very little parking.  It was 80 degrees by the time the race ended.  It was in the Blue Hills so it was ... hilly.   The water stop run by SRR (Aaron, Gwen, SoRad and Adina) ran out of cups - apparently Aaron Beer had to just pour water into Seth's mouth from the jug.

On the plus side; it was the first time I broke 1:40 and there was this cool medal where the inside "13.1" part spun around.

Providence Marathon - 2012

The 2012 Providence Marathon was a great race.  I managed to put in a 30 minute Personal Record and come close to qualifying for the Boston Marathon.   Korynn and I had a great trip with the team, staying at Kate D's cousin's house, cupcakes at Nancy's Fancies, dinner at Sienna, the boys came down to cheer and then the free Gansett followed by lunch at Trinity Brewing.  The medal itself is a nice size and throws in the official symbol and motto of Rhode Island (the anchor and "Hope") with a relief of the state capital building.

Mount Desert Island Marathon Relay- 2011

I did the 2011 MDI Relay with Kelsea.  We took fourth in the 2 person relay and got to cheer on about a bunch of other club members - including Ruthanne and Kate's first marathons.  The weekend got even more activity in when we hiked the Precipice Trail on Wednesday and Scott and I went to Alagash Brewery on Tuesday.  The medal is very large and the 0 in the 10 has the map of Mount Desert on it.

Reykjavik Marathon - 2012

In 2012, I ran a marathon in Iceland.  Iceland was a life long dream of mine to visit.  And I did.  We spent an awesome week traveling the island and took the best hike ever in Skaftafell National Park.  The medal itself is very Nordic.  Sleek with a primary red ribbon.  The design of the medal is clean and is written in Icelandic - which is cool.

Miamiman Half Iron Duathlon - 2011
The Miamiman was a my goal race of the year.  I managed to win the clydesdales and exceed even my wildest dreams in time.   The medal itself was really cool too.  As the run was through the zoo, all the medals were cartoon animals.  The cartoon elephant went well with the division trophy - which was a stuffed alligator.  Thinking maybe going back in 2015 to try again.

Detroit International Half Marathon - 2012
The Detroit International Half ran over the bridge into Canada, back under a mile long tunnel, through downtown and into the finish with a large crowd.  I did reasonable well.  The medal itself was really awesome.  The ribbon has US and Canadian flags.  The medal has the Rennaisance Center, the Ambassador Bridge and Motown references.  Every year the car on the front changes.  2012 it was a 53 Corvette.

National Marathon - 2011
My 2011 National Marathon was easily the worst race of my entire life.  I had quit smoking six months before; I weighed 250 lbs and I had not trained for any sense of speed.  Top that off with my late start because of the stupid Washington Metro and I had a horrid day until Jason and I went to get empanadas. However, the medal is awesome! It is what a medal should be. It's the perfect size (about the whole palm of my hand).  It's stamped with the White House in Medium relief and it's got the bronze/copper tinge to it that make it look like a Victorian medal.  Perfect.

Martha's Vineyard 20 Miler Division Award - 2013&2014
I love the Martha's Vineyard race.  It's on my Top 5 favorite New England races. It's a fun weekend in February to take the ferry across choppy seas.  The Offshore Brewery is a great most-race meet up.  And the Chowder at the end of the race - makes those last 4 or 5 miles worth it.  The Division award medal is really nice.  Stamped in a heavy medal with the logo and the distinct Oak Bluffs lighthouse.  (plus, like the MDI medal the 0 has the map of Martha's Vineyard in it).  In 2013, I took 2nd and got a silver colored one; in 2014 I got the gold.

Pittsburgh (Half) Marathon - 2013
Another cool medal for another crappy race by me.  I blew out my ankle at mile 7 and walked the rest of the half marathon route for my slowest half marathon and yet another failure to BQ.  But the medal is great.  Heavy (but Seth doesn't think it's steel), made to look like rivets hold it together and with one of the Three Sisters Bridges in the background - pretty cool.  

Spartan Race - 2011
To date, the 2010 Spartan Race is my only obstacle race.  The fact that I haven't tried another one in 4 years probably shows how unamazed I was with the race and whole concept.  The medal itself is a great design. Obviously influenced by (ripped off from?) 300, it has the basic black and red.  On the reverse has a little info about the year, etc.   This is Sparta!

No comments:

Post a Comment