Saturday, August 9, 2014

Thoughts and Rambles: A Thank You

There is an old Sufi story, maybe its told by al-Aqta or Attar, not sure which one (or someone completely different).  This Sufi Sheykh meets God.  God agrees to grant him a wish.  The Sheykh asks that he touch the lives of people he meets in a positive way without the Sheykh knowing.  God grants him this wish.  Then afterwards God likes it so much he grants that power to the whole planet.

***

This August is a series of anniversaries for me:

It is my 4th Anniversary of quitting smoking; and,
The blog celebrates it's 6th anniversary.

Perhaps greater to me is the 5th Anniversary of my personal rebirth.  August 2009, I returned from my trip solo across the Balkans.  I returned from that 4 month adventure a changed person.  And through that commitment to change, I did so further.  Each step has made me better person and made my life more full and complete.

But I didn't do this alone.  Many people helped along the way.  Maybe like the Sheykh, they don't know what they've done.

With the below, I want to share my journey and thank all of those who have touched me.

2009

I traveled Greece, including getting my certificate to teach English.

Athens

Mycenae: Lea, Marilyn, Simone, Kelly and I at the Treasury of Atreus

Mycenae

Olympia: sprinting the track

TEFL Corinth: Kelly, Marilyn, Lea, Simone, me, Kelly, Jim
Afterwards, I went to Kefalonia to work with sea turtles and another great group who touched me in ways they might not have known.

Cannonball into the Ionian Sea.

Climbing Mt. Ainos: Ariel, me and Damo

Team Turtle: me, Cecilia, Ian, Florian, Lilly, Ariel, Mia, Damo, Ellly
Croatia

Atop Baske Ostarije, 1000m climb over 12km - took em three hours

Bungee Jumping, Sibenick Bridge

Jesse Bear @ Krka National Park

Convenient Sign

Plitvicka Jezeera National Park

Saying goodbye to Schwarzfahrer, at some random bike shop in Zagreb
(got 600 kuna for the bike)
Dimitrovgrad, Serbia - where I got kicked off the train without a passport (and Jesse Bear was stolen)
Hiking Liechtenstein! a lifelong dream
Hiking the less exotic Catskills, 2009:
Andrew, Carl, Nellie, Jeremy, Tiffany, Seth and Jess

2010


2010, was a bit of a tough year for me. I was going through some rebirth pains.  There are very few pictures from this year. Eventually, I came out on the other side.  While, I don't have any photos of them, Dave and Glenn were fantastic people I leaned on during this time and year.

Urvi and I handing off in the 26x1 relay
2011

White House after my second marathon and a fantastic weekend with my Cousin

Climbing Champlain Mtn - Scott, Evan, Sarah, Sara

Kelsea and I after the 2011 MDI Relay

Mill Cities Relay - Kings of Beer: Aaron, Dan, me, Marc and Seth
2012

New Years 2012, Polar plunge after the Hangover 10K:
I'm mid dive, Robert and Anthony are about to dive; Sara and Bradley 

Trampoline Dodgeball: Amy, Kate, Paul, Kimi, Ann, Seth, Sarah, Laurie, Dan, Paul, Ali, Sara, Marc, Korynn

After Providence Marathon: Ann, Jim, Sarah, Korynn, Seth, Dan and me

Iceland 2012: Seth, Andy, Brian, me, Sara, Korynn, Victor, Aharon and Liz

Aaron, me and Brian at Skaftafell, Southeast Iceland

At Skogarfoss: Merissa, Brian, me, Sara, Korynn, Victor, Seth, Sarah, Amie and Aharon

At the Start of the Reykjavik Marathon, 2012

At Thakgil, Iceland: Mariah, Brian, Harrison, Korynn, Sara, Weth, Aharon, me, Amie, Liz, Laurie and Victor

Urvi and I on Pete's Hill, Arbs during Hub on Wheels
2013
Blizzard Run with Bradley

Ruthanne, Kate, Urvi and I, 2013 Boston Marathon right before we found out

Corey right before our doomed century ride

Pineland Farms Trail Series, 2013:
Brian, Jake, Karen, Sara, Aaron, Scot, Tim, anthony, Merisa, Brian, me, Diona
Carrie-Anne, Andy, HB, Mariah, Urvi and Erin

me, Urvi and Paul after the Pittsburgh (half) Marathon
Urvi and I at the Colosseum 

Urvi and I at Trevi Fountain

Hiking the Whites: Jess, Andrew, Andy, Emma and I

Lake Winni Relay: Dan, John, Marc, Tim, Steve, Aaron, Seth and I
Reach the Beach:
Scott, Jim, me, Steve, John, Matt, Megan, Jason, Korynn, Deb, Freddi and Emma

Deb getting her sock darned, Man City Marathon

Finishing the Man City Marathon

Meeting a member of the CIM board:
Urvi, me, Tim, Aaron, Kate, Brian, Laurie and Erin

Urvi and I in Sacramento after the California International Marathon
2014


Long Jump - Pentathlon

On the 300K

Novare Res after the Beach to Beacon:
me, Urvi, Eva, Matt, Julie and Scott

One from the Vault:
That time our Christmas Card was graffiti, Boston, 1992
Of course, I can't forget my parents.

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing and helping my journey, especially those who may not know they have the gift to be a positive influence...

Thanks,

Jesse...

No comments:

Post a Comment