Monday, December 2, 2013

"But the Frogurt Is Also Cursed!": Homer Simpson at Yulefest (12/1/13)

Me - 2nd Masters - and Bev - women's champ
Race:  Yulefest 5k
Location: Harvard Sq.
Goal: 19:00
Actual: 19:40

Yulefest was initially the perfect date to attack my 5k PR.  One week before my marathon, I would be rested through the taper and trained with the marathon.  Also, the race (which supports the Cambridge Family and Children's Service) is only 3/4 mile from my house.

Unfortunately, Thanksgiving was very late this year (actually the latest it possibly can be).  That meant I was racing my Thanksgiving race and my Christmas race within four days of each other. I had a personal record for the 4 mile at the Gobble which left me questioning whether I could repeat so quickly.

So with that and the marathon coming up, I decided I would take it quasi-conservatively.  And originally that was the plan.



Owner: Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse!
Homer: [worried] Ooooh, that's bad.

At the start line, we discussed our gameplan.  Tommy said he wanted to go out at six minutes for the first mile:
- That's good.

At the gun we took off.  Anthony and I ran right behind Tommy.  We ran North out of Harvard Square and then through the Law School and back down Oxford Street and by the Science Center.  We took the left toward Somerville.  As we passed the mile mark - 5:41.
- Ooooh, that's bad.

Owner: But it comes with a free Frogurt!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.

As we ran up Kirkland, I was worried about not being able to continue at this pace.  But as we ran about a block I realized Quitter Jesse wasn't making his appearance - even though I was slowing down to around 5:55 mile average.
- That's good.

As we ran toward Inman Square I saw myself slowing down further on Cambridge Street, past the hospital. And I heard footsteps.
- That's bad.

Owner: The Frogurt is also cursed.
Homer: [worried] That's bad.


Fortunately, the footsteps were St. Anthony of Jersey - who being faster than me would pass me eventually anyways.  We hit the two mile mark and I was still at 5:59 mile.  I was thinking to myself, If I can keep up a 6:15, I should be able to PR easily.
- That's good.

But my legs just didn't seem to have it.  As Anthony did pass me, I regretted the 5:41 mile.  We turned right in front of my house and got to high-five Cambridge's Finest - Dan McGinty.

That's good.

Yet, in front of me loomed the climb up Harvard Street (not bad if you are jogging or even running a long race.)  This late in the 5k and this tired from the early mile - it might as well have been Everest.
- That's bad

Owner: But you get your choice of topping!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.

Anthony flew up the hill toward a good finish.  I fought up the hill with a plan to charge down back into Harvard Square.  At the top with half a mile to go I though I had it.
That's good.

but my stomach started to rumble.  As I got down toward the finishing straight, I looked at my watch - 18:26.  I had no chance to PR (while probably break 19).  I gave into the rumble.  I had to stop and vomit.
That's bad.

Owner: The toppings contains Potassium Benzoate.
Homer: [stares]
Owner: That's bad.

I started to walk to the finish and then out sprinted somebody who came up behind me.  While it wasn't a PR and I didn't break 19, I did - as Brendan said later - "have a great 4800 meters", took second in the masters, broke my master's PR and kept myself healthy for the marathon on Sunday.

Competitive Jesse: [stares]
Rational Jesse Running a Marathon in one week: That's good.


Finishing weak
Afterward had good Slumbrew Happy Sol and Notch Harvest BSA at the post party.

Shoutouts

Bev Atunes won the women's and broke the course record.
Erin and Urvi both got in one fast race without injuring themselves for CIM either.

No comments:

Post a Comment