Monday, July 7, 2014

"There is Now a 3rd Ferry Involved": Fourth of July Weekend on Long Island (7/4-7/6/14)


Jeremy and Dan - the grooms

In the summer of 2007 we were driving from Zurich to Munich.  We intentionally took the long way to go through Basel and Freiburg.  Then we drove a bit through the Black Forest, only to then unintentionally take the longer way.  Virtually lost in Baden-Wurttemburg, with our only direction being the soft melodic German voice of the GPS, the five of us: Andrew, Gabe, Jason, Thomas and I had no choice but to keep following the GPS as the signs kept directing us back toward Switzerland.  Then in Konstantz, the road ran out and there was a sign: Willkommen auf der Fähre. 

Grant, who had been patiently waiting for us in our hostel in Munich, texts, “where are you?”

Andrew had nothing to respond but: “There is now a ferry involved.” 

Since then, that has been our response to every ferry ride.

As Urvi and I boarded the Long Island-New London Ferry on Sunday, I sent a third text to Jason, Grant and Andrew to continue an old joke: “There is now a 3rd ferry involved.”

Jason: “That’s 2 too many ferries”

Andrew: “Jesus. That’s a lot of ferries!”

Grant: “But seriously where are you?”

It is a lot of ferries, but if one looked at the map and considered driving from Orient Point to Amagansett without the two Shelter Island ferries, they’d conclude it wasn’t two too many.

“Rock Me Like a Hurricane.” (7/4/14)

As we drove through the night roads of Bayern after the Meersburg ferry, the song of the trip became “Winds of Change.”  Twice the song came on during that ride: once in English and once in Italian.  As soon as I hear the whistle – or the balalaika singing what my guitar wants to sing* – I am carried back onto those dark roads and the Radler we drank on the ferry.

Thomas, Gabe, Jason, Andrew and I on the Konstanz - Meerburg Ferry, 2007
If there was to be a Scorpions’ song of the trip this year, it would be “Rock You Like a Hurricane.”  No the song didn’t come up during the trip, but Urvi and I drove down on Friday into the squalls and squirms on the edges of Hurricane Arthur’s Excalibur. (“I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!”) 

Waiting in Line at the New London - Long Island Ferry, 2014
After we got into Amagansett and met up with our housemates – Bex, Katy, Liam, Max and Butterballs – we went to the pre-wedding party and lobster bake to catch up with friends and watch Brasil “roll their way into the semis.” 

Springs – Amagansett Trail (7/5/14)

Springs Amagansett Trailhead - Springs

I love to go on new runs when I’m in a different place or city.   And I like to do it as a bit of sightseeing if possible, like Golden Gate Park, the Tiber River or Central Park… So, on Long Island, I found a great little trail through some county and state land.  On my 10 mile run along the Springs-Amagansett trail, I saw countless birds and squirrels.  But also I had three deer sightings.  But in an odd way – like The Village – I saw no humans except for when I left the trail and found streets.


Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun

Congrats! Dan & Jeremy (7/5/14)
Urvi in her lovely dress and I

Robert, Dan and Max

Dan & Jeremy exchanging vows

Exchanging rings

Dinner on the lawn

A Fitzgerald-esque setting

Homewardbound (7/6/14)

On the ferry home with a Mystic Bridge IPA

Urvi enjoys the ride

Lighthouse off Orient Point

New London

* - And in one of my favorite misheard lyrics, Gabe asks: “Why are they going to Donkey Park?”

One from the Vault
That time Jason met a bear in Freiburg, Germany, 2007
What bear?



No comments:

Post a Comment