Monday, January 27, 2014

Gatorade Slushies!: 13 in Central Park (1/26/14)

Course shot
Race: Fred Lebow Manhatan Half Marathon
Location: Central Park
Goal Time: Don't Freeze to Death
Actual Time: 1:39:32

In both 2012 and 2013, I ran the Derry Boston Prep 16 miler.  It's hilly, it's cold and there is no traffic control.  So, this year, Urvi and I went down to NY to avoid the freezing temps of Southern NH and run in the relatively balmy, Central Park.

So, Sunday morning while it was 16 degrees with a -10 windchill in Derry NH.  We were in Central Park where it was 14 degrees and the windchill was -9.

The best-laid schemes o' Mice an' Men 
         Gang aft agley,  
~ Robert Burns

Well, I wasn't prepared to race in those temperatures.  So I didn't.  In my hooded sweatshirt with my jogging pants stuffed into my striped socks knickerbocker style, I did basically a faster long run. Urvi, Sara, JZ and Karen all did the same.

Megan Hyland did not.  She represented Somerville with a 1:25:06 and took 3rd female.

Special Shoutouts to all the volunteers who stood around while I was warming myself up by running...

1 comment: