Friday, July 12, 2013

Seven-Eleven: It was a good day (7/11/13)

Starting Line from Race #2

Race: Thursday Night Run #3
Distance: 5k
Goal Time: 19:30
Actual Time: 19:27

The third race in the Thursday Night Series was set for July 11th (Seven, eleven), which made me either want to listen to Ice Cube's Predator or - combined with the heat - have a Slurpee (I just found out it was free slurpee day too - dammitt!).

"With the seven, seven-eleven, seven-eleven" ~ Ice Cube

Unlike the 4k on the 4th, the apparent temperature wasn't terrible out there.  80 degrees with 73 dew point, created an apparent temperature of 86.  It was just enough to shake up the goals.  I figured it would add about ten seconds a mile to my goal time (from 6:07 to 6:17).  

"Shake em up, shake em up, shake em up, shake em" ~ Ice Cube

With no major race looming until the Carver Cranberry in two weeks, I rolled the dice and went for it.  The first mile was an easy-ish 6:06.  I slowed in the both the light short rain and the mugginess to a 6:26.  (Two Double Sixes!  "I'm yelling domino!" ~ Ice Cube).

The third mile was back in the middle as Rational Jesse got his stuff together and pulled in a hard but manageable 6:18 and sprinted well in the last 0.1 to bring in a 19:27.  Course PR!

Afterwards was dinner at Tommy Doyle's and a couple rounds of Long Trail's perfectly adequate Belgian White.

"I even saw the lights of the Goodyear blimp" ~ Ice Cube. (I didn't really)

Even without getting my free Slurpee on 7/11, "I gotta say, today was a good day!"

Joe, Kieran, Bradley, Anthony took 2, 5, 6, 8
I took 17th
Brendan C continued his streak of break 20 minutes (19:58)
SRR would have won the team competition but Sara didn't get her team registration.  But we took second by 18 seconds... Next month, watch out CRC

No comments:

Post a Comment